Get to know more about the South African response to COVID-19.
Useful training for clinicians
Criteria for Person under Investigation (PUI)
Persons with acute respiratory illness with sudden onset of at least one of the following: cough, sore throat, shortness of breath or fever [≥ 38°C (measured) or history of fever (subjective)] irrespective of admission status
In the 14 days prior to onset of symptoms, met at least one of the following epidemiological criteria:
· Were in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of SARS-CoV-2 infection;
· Had a history of travel to areas with local transmission of SARS-CoV-2; (NB Affected countries will change with time, consult the NICD website for current updates);
· Worked in or attended a health care facility where patients with SARS-CoV-2 infections were being treated
· Admitted with severe pneumonia of unknown etiology
1) http://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/covid-19/ (as at 24/3/2020)
Check daily on countries with reported cases
More at NICD
Designated facilities dedicated for COVID-19 testing in Jhb (but be careful of patients getting ‘lost’)
- A= Halfway house, Ivory Park and Diepsloot South.
- B= Bosmont and Parkhurst.
- C= Weltevreden Park, Rex, Cosmo City and Braamfischerville clinics.
- D= Shanty, Jabavu, Michael Maponya and Diepkloof.
- E= Sandown, Petervale and East Bank
- F= South Hills and Crown Gardens.
- G= Barney Molokwane, Eldorado Park Ext 2 and Thulamtwana
Contacts for hospital referrals
- Lenasia South Hospital: +27 11 213 9600 / 078 509 3275 / 011 854 0000
- Discoverers Hospital: 011 674 1200
- Bheki Mlangeni Hospital: 11 241 5600
- South Rand Hospital: 011 681 2000
- Edenvale Hospital: 011 321 6000
- Helen Joseph Hospital: 011 489 1011
- Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital: 011 488 4911 / 011 488 3165 | 4151 |3122
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital: 011 933 0967 / 011 938 8161 also check here for other contacts
NIOH Video: COVID-19: Donning and doffing PPE
NIOH Video: Hand washing video for COVID 19
Updates from Stellenbosch University
To ANYONE who wants to know what is happening clinically join this Telegram Broadcast for Clinicians
Important COVID Hotlines
National Department of Health: https://www.health.gov.za
SA Corona Virus Website https://coronavirus.datafree.co/
National Institute of Communicable Diseases: https://www.nicd.ac.za
World Health Organisation: https://www.who.int
Coronavirus Hotline: 0800 029 999
GBV Command Centre: 0800 428 428 / *120*7867# from any cell phone
Persons with disabilities, SMS ‘help’ to 31531
Women Abuse Helpline: 0800 150 150
Childline: 0800 055 555
SAPS Crime Stop: 0860 10111 / SMS Crime Line: 32211
GBVF-related service complaints (SAPS): 0800 333 177/
National AIDS Helpline: 0800 012 322
National Human Trafficking Helpline: 0800 222 777
Suicide Helpline: 0800 567 567