The WONCA Africa Executive, participated in a very promising teleconference with Katherine Rouleau and the team from the Besrour Centre in Toronto Canada. Their mission and values are below with links to their page on the Canadian College of Family Physicians website. We chatted about their current network of Africans attending the Annual Besrour Conferences, their plans for a short 3-6mth leadership development programme as well as possible support to the WONCA Africa Conference in Uganda 2019. Have a look at the work they do here.
Mission: The Besrour Centre fosters collaboration to advance family medicine around the world.
Values: The Besrour Centre will be guided by the following values:
- Equity – by recognizing the inherent dignity of every human being and the just distribution of resources and access to marginalized and vulnerable groups
- Justice – by ensuring that individuals and groups have fair and impartial access to the benefits of society, including the right to health
- Excellence – by striving and adhering to the highest standards of quality, integrity, professionalism, leadership, and evidence-informed and patient-centred care
- Reciprocity – by promoting the collaborative and multidirectional exchange of experience, knowledge, and capacity-building among partners and their communities
- Respect – for each other’s cultures, norms, and perspectives
The Besrour Centre aims to achieve its mission of fostering collaboration to advance family medicine around the world through four strategic priorities:
- Help establish family medicine as the foundation of health systems around the world
- Increase the adoption of training standards and accreditation in family medicine
- Advance faculty training in family medicine
- Strengthen continuing professional development for generalist physicians and primary care teams